Tuesday, December 14, 2010

When things went right all the way!

This morning I'd an appointment at the RTO's office for the renewal of my driving licence. I was ready for inordinate delays and the possibility of running around for getting the papers scrutinised and cleared by the authorities as was the experience during my previous outing. Well, I was in for a shock and if I were to be permitted to use poetic licence, a pleasant one. Things are so streamlined that the movement from one counter to the next(and one really needs to go around a whole lot of them for their scrutiny of the documents) was systematic and since the entire procedure has been computerised, the whole exercise took me just twenty minutes! Technology intensive services really help the customer and thank God, our country is witness to such momentous changes.

The paper work is complete.
In the afternoon, I was informed that the final set of papers of my Chevrolet Cruze have arrived from the RTO's office. This has been the result of some painstaking moves by my friends, well wishers and to a much lesser intent, yours truly. It's the culmination of a long and arduous process of acquiring a new vehicle in Delhi, in these trying times!

The surprise call from Calcutta.
I was pleasantly surprised by a call, in the evening, from my friends(from my NDA days of '82 when I was a Divisional Officer to the cadets) who'd ganged up at Calcutta on the occasion of the 'Vijay Divas' being commemmorated on 16 Dec. It was nice hearing the Joshis(Jo and Priscilla) and the Koijams(Amrit and Padma) who'd looked after me during those days and have always endeavoured to be in touch with me at every occasion feasible, concerned about my well being and Lekha's health. It's nice to feel wanted and as each one of them had told me, I become a topic of their discussions whenever they conglomerate anywhere. And as I've said earlier, I feel honoured and humbled by such genuine show of affection. We've promised to meet up soon before this year ends and I need to juggle with dates to make it possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment