Wednesday, December 22, 2010

An onion story!

It's a case of spiralling prices of onions all over again, out here in Delhi. As somebody had rightly said on prime time TV, for the common man, just an onion with rotis is a substantial meal. The price hike really seems to hurt everybody across the board. What I can't fathom is that apart from the fact that the Ministry of Agriculture has no contingency plan to provide the commodity at reasonable prices to its people, they seem to have been completely taken by surprise by the ticklish situation or was this situation consciously brought about?

But I'm reminded about a humorous incident that happened the last time such a situation had risen. A guy in the neighbourhood, for whom onions are a must for every meal, had gone and purchased a sackful of onions at the prevalent prices then - quite higher than normal - to tide over the situation! And it's also a fact that the very same gentleman doesn't touch onions during the fast of the 'navaratras' which he undertakes religiously, every year. That essentially is the spirit of the Delhiite - a never say die attitude!!

Tailpiece.
My man Friday, Bunty, has taken his tot of rum from my liquor cabinet saying that he was feeling very cold this evening. I oblige him and look at him with envy as I'm following the abstinence ritual connected with the Sabarimala season. Jokes apart, no there's no urge at all to imbibe and instead, I feel very nice that I can stay away from it all if I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment