Thursday, December 9, 2010

Blast from the past!

Lekha, alongwith my sister Rema, had gone to attend the wedding of a cousin of mine (from Palakkad) today, at Coimbatore. This youngster is flying back to the US with his wife, a fortnight from now, since he works there. At the venue, Lekha was asked about the whereabouts of yours truly by my relations from Palakkad. And one of them, Unnikrishnettan(as I call him) had called up and we'd a long chat laughing at our follies and fondly remembering the good times at my grandparents' house at Thiruvananthapuram way back(I was in class V then).

There was a particular incident, at play, through which I'd hurt him then. It was a game of carrom between Unnikrishnettan and my maman - I must concede that I was unashamedly partial towards my maman. As the game progressed, the time had arrived when both the players were sweating it out to pocket the 'queen' and 'her consort'. Maman had lost a golden chance and Unnikrishnettan was fairly well poised to go for the kill. He'd pocketed the queen and as he readied himself for taking the consort, I distracted him by shooting my hand across his line of vision and he, consequently missed a sure sitter!

Unnikrishnettan was in tears and wouldn't talk to me for the next couple of days despite my repeated apologies. Deep within me I realised that I'd hurt him and I was keen to make up with him before he left for Dubai, a few days later, for taking up his new job. The reconciliation never took place then and the incident had always remained in the innermost recess of my mind as an unfinished job. In the eagerness of living our lives, neither did we get a chance to come across each other nor did we endeavour(at least I didn't) to get in touch!

And today, finally the opportunity did arrive. The thorough gentleman that he's, he guffawed when I'd asked him to forgive me for my childhood folly and the ice was broken! He remains as he was simple and likeable, as I remember, despite his successes in life.

Unnikrishnetta, I'll look you up when I make it home the next time. That's a promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment