Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spreading cheer!

I'd gone to a nearby hospital where my friend was admitted into the ICU as he was in an extremely precarious condition - Oxygen level in the blood at an alarming low of 60% coupled with an equally low level of Sodium! Since my visit was untimely, I couldn't enter the sanitised area and therefore, was unable to see him. But his immediate family waiting outside were visibly relieved and when his wife told me that she'd tell him about my visit, because she was sure that the news would perk him up and get him out of harm's way, I was humbled and had a lump in my throat!

I must insist that I'd not done anything out of the way and my visit was meant to convey that I too was with them during their difficult times. It was also meant to convey that I could be called on to render any sort of assistance that might come up during the long haul.

The reactions, yet again, confirmed the age old saying that it takes very little on one's part to light up others' lives. A bit of one's time, an appropriate gesture or sharing the pain goes a long way and mind you, it doesn't cost even a penny!

Tailpiece.

On the occasion, I was reminded of Mrs. Afshan Khan, our friend, who'd spent the entire day with Lekha while I was under the surgeon's knife for the removal of a troublesome stone from my urinary bladder, sometime in September last year. I guess I shall ever remain indebted to her for that wonderful gesture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment