Thursday, November 4, 2010

On the eve of Diwali!

It was a light day at the office as the staff attendance had dwindled to a bare minimum. Many people had come to meet yours truly, personally, to offer Diwali greetings and exchange pleasantries. And I tried to connect up with as as many friends as possible on the occasion.

There was a power interruption in my block at sunset and thinking that I'd beat it, I'd set off for my walk earlier than usual. But it was not to be. The hassled guy, Ajith Kumar, who was on duty told me on enquiry, that power would be restored only after midnight as a length of cable that had got burnt needed replacement and that the whole repair work would take up a longer time as the new cable had to be fetched from the store. So, it ended up with me watching the other well lit buildings from the dark confines of my home, the brightly lit 'diyas' on my balcony notwithstanding!

The one thing that strikes me the most is the fervour with which the people in the north of India celebrate festivals. The intensity is much greater than what we in the south display or is it my mistaken perceptions?

Lekha returns from Kochi and my cousin's gang from Simla, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment