Sunday, May 29, 2011

The monsoons are coming!

After a long lapse, I'm in Kerala witnessing the onset of monsoons. The deluge has no comparison and when the skies open, if you're out of the cosy environs of your office or home, you're sure to return drenched however much you arm yourself with safety/protective gear. But since the land slopes from the Western ghats to the Arabian sea, drainage is swift and complete - the difficult puddles and waterlogging are few and far between. This is the biggest difference from what I'd experienced at Delhi where it was nightmarish to drive through due to waterlogging, even after a few hours of rains, thanks to it being part of the great Indo-Gangetic plain.

I know that I'm speaking a bit too soon as the monsoon's date with Kerala is on 31 May and what I've seen so far are the pre-monsoon showers. The intensity and the fury of the rains will be there for everyone to see and feel.

And 31 May is being observed as the 'use bus only' day in Kochi. It's a drive to exhort people against using their personal vehicles and use the public transportation system instead. A noble thought - practised in many countries and so is nothing new as a concept - and I only hope that all the Kochiites would join the drive wholeheartedly.

I'm gonna give rest to my official transport that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment