Sunday, May 1, 2011

What makes the difference?

Over the weekend there were family requirements of attending a wedding and hence, made a dash for my home after the function. As I watch my parents go through their personal chores, I realise how time has taken its toll - my dad is 86 and mom 76. They've become slower and deliberate while going about their functions and I'm struck by the stark reality that their physical deterioration is getting more pronounced. Both of them were so fond of travelling that I'm surprised that they baulk at the mere mention of travel these days. However, I've been able to persuade them to come alongwith us to Kochi.

My paternal grandparents(N Krishna Panicker and Kalyani Amma) had lived on to 85 yrs and 81 yrs respectively while my maternal grandparents(PN Panicker and Chempakakutty Amma) had lived on to 86 yrs and 76 yrs respectively. Though Mrs. PN Panicker's end was untimely thanks to a massive heart attack all of a sudden, all the four of them were quite active, travelling far and wide, till their final few days. Of course, my grandparents - all the four of them - had led a very healthy life but, so have my parents.

And that's what puzles me. Why've they become so weak and brittle? A measure of the times? Perhaps! O God, pse look after them and do not give them troubled times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment