Monday, November 7, 2011

Another link has snapped.

I was woken up at a quarter to 4, this morning, by the insistent ringing of the telephone and my antenna was up almost as a matter of instinct. Calls at unearthly hours usually bring in unwelcome news and today's call was just that. My affable and mild mannered uncle had passed away.

Santhan kochachan, all of 74 years and the husband of my second maasi - Vilasini kunjamma, had got up with a complaint of breathlessness around 3 AM and within an hour, had left this earthly life. Lekha and me had made a dash to Thiruvananthapuram to be in time to say our prayers, by his mortal remains before it was consigned to the flames.

I was taken back in time, when we'd - my dad, mom, me and my sisters - fetched up from Bombay, some time in end Nov '63 and my maman(who was there to receive us) pointed towards two gentlemen standing by one of the pillars at the entrance of the Thiruvananthapuram railway station, saying that one of them was Santhakumar, who was slated to marry my maasi, Vilasini kunjamma. They'd gone through a whirlwind courtship over six months and had decided to get married - a unique happening those days, amongst orthodox Hindu families. He'd come to the station, then, to get the endorsement of his fiancee's eldest sister, my mother! He used to tell me subsequently, that he'd never sweated ever like he did then during that evening - before or after!!

I've completed 18 visits to the shrine of Sabarimala, as part of my annual ritual and Santhan kochachan was the mainstay for the conduct of the connected 'puja' and the entire procedure of the 'yatra'. During my first visit he'd undertaken the exercise twice - and that too, back to back. During the first trek, that year, he'd accompanied my grandmother, mom and dad - did  it the second time just for my sake, as I'd reached a trifle late on leave. He'd accompanied me 13 times after which, he'd do the 'puja' and see me off as the doctor had advised him against such exertions due to the condition of his heart.

We're also a formidable team in the family, in the game of cards and our strong point was the 'mallu' favourite of 28.

He and my maasi were eternally in love till this morning, I and every other member of the family can vouch for it. And he'd that fantastic quality to get along with anyone of any age or of any background. He and maasi used to stand in for my parents, as my guests and guardians at my school's annual day and its annual sports day. I'd spoken to him at length just last week, at Leela kunjamma's funeral and I can't believe that I shall never see his smiling, handsome visage ever again. And another link in the family tree has snapped forever.

Santhan kochachan, I shall miss you till my very end. My tearful tribute in your memory.


Tailpiece.

1. The electric cum normal crematorium at 'Santhi kavaadom' looks like a five star complex and I'd joked that I didn't mind dying with such facilities being available after life. Jokes apart, the mallus seem to have given a serious thought to look after the dead with dignity! People can organise a condolence meeting soon after the funeral, within the premises! And the place is maintained clean by the conservancy staff appointed by the municipal corporation, for the purpose, at all times - absolutely free of filth and foul smells.

2. My uncle seems to have passed away on an inauspicious day - 'karinaal' which falls within the last five days of any month in the Malayalam calendar. The saying has it that such a happening triggers off a series of deaths in the same family, within a calendar year. I don't believe this but statistics and past happenings were cited to prove the point! So, the 'pundit' will carry out some remedial 'puja' for the family. Earlier, a fowl used to be sacrificed for salvation, things have now been further simplified - thank god - and an egg(symbolises life) was placed along with the body before it was placed on the furnace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment