Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why am I angry?

It was drizzling this evening as I got out of the house for my customary walk. To shield my head I'd my favourite cap on and didn't mind getting wet otherwise because as I perceive, an umbrella hinders the walking speed and a raincape gets me suffocated! The roads had huge puddles of water, at many places, thanks to the incessant rains that had begun just before sunset.

I must have walked a bare 50 metres, when an autorickshaw drove past with its driver saying something that was directed at me. Therefore, I'd beckoned him to stop and repeat what he'd to say. He then told me that I was walking on the road and since my clothes had a dark hue, I was hardly visible to him till the last moment and if I were to continue in the same manner, I'd have serious trouble from a speeding motorist now that I've been saved by his deft driving!

As he said his piece, I could feel my anger rising because he was fully well aware of the fact that I was skirting a huge puddle of water at that instant, when he was crossing me and in the process, had got onto the road! Raising my voice, I'd asked him as to why he was cautioning me when he saw me doing what I was, as I was passing under the glare of the sodium vapour street lamp at that point. I then cautioned him that it's people like him who should be watchful and drive at very slow speeds to avoid inconveniencing pedestrians whose problems enhance, especially during rains!

Seeing my belligerance, he backed off and without another word, joined the queue of autorickshaws at the street corner. Why did I get angry with him? He must have been genuinely concerned about my safety and hence, was trying to caution me, perhaps! Or was it his mallu sarcasm to find mistakes in others?

As I finished my circuit, I'd come to the conclusion that it could have been the former and looked around for the autorickshaw at the stand to tender an apology for my brusqueness, but he'd left by then - presumably on another trip!   

No comments:

Post a Comment