Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An unplanned gift.

Yesterday also happened to be my dad's 87th birthday. But we'd decided to keep the celebrations muted to wishing him 'many happy returns' thanks to the unexpected passing away of Santhan kochachan.

Lekha and me had reached Thiruvananthapuram directly while my parents, along with my younger sister and her daughter, had gone for an urgent social calling to be with a good friend of their's going through trying times before fetching up at Vilasini kunjamma's house. Both mom and dad were very sad seeing Santhan kochachan's   lifeless form lying in state. Their lament was as to why god had spared the elder ones like them and chosen the younger ones. I could understand their angst as both, Leela kunjamma and Santhan kochachan, used to consult them on every important thing that happened in their lives because, for them, their 'chettan and chechi's' endorsement was sacrosanct.

I could only watch my parents' anguish like a helpless spectator!

Just before my parents' departure, my dad had called me aside and asked me as to whether I could fetch him a new walking stick as the existing one was giving him problems. The needful was done as two of my nephews volunteered to go to the 'medical equipment shop' a few kms away and get the quadruped stick.

As he wielded his new walking stick, my dad tells me quietly, 'son, this is a very special birthday gift for me'. I could feel the lump in my throat because I'd definitely not planned this!

No comments:

Post a Comment