Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bhaskaran, my 'saarthi'.

Bhaskaran has been my 'saarthi' for the 'bhog ceremony' over the last week. Disarmingly simple in his outlook towards life, in general, he has enormous patience with me and my mistakes that I make with a remarkably regular frequency.

There's a connected story that needs mention. Bhaskaran's father, Sanku Mooppan, and my dad were classmates from school. Dad had often narrated the story of their having shared the last bench in class and their propensity to get into trouble thanks to their boyish pranks. Dad's friend stopped his studies midway soon after my grandfather had shifted dad into an English medium school in town.

The inseparable friends continued to keep in touch with each other and I've seen my dad in deep conversation with his friend during his forays on leave. In fact, Sanku Mooppan used to keep a track of my dad's leave particulars from his folks. They used to be in a different world when they're just the two of them by themselves! Their interaction could be pretty serious at times but usually, it would be in a lighter vein punctuated with guffaws.

Dad was quite sad when his friend had passed away about ten years back and had told me movingly as to how much he missed him and his wisdom.

Wonder whether the relationship is hereditary? Because, I must confess that  I've developed a liking for my dad's friend's son!!

No comments:

Post a Comment