Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Walking the extra mile.

There was this elderly couple who'd their reservations done on an early morning train today - leaving Ernakulam at 0530h - to go to Coimbatore. Actually they're on the waiting list till yesterday and the confirmation had come by during the release of berths against the emergency quota thanks to a couple of deft telephone calls.

I'd gone to the station to see them off as I felt like doing so just like that and thank god, I'd gone there despite the interruption in sleep! It was on reaching the platform that we realised that the train was over five hours late and the old lady and the gentleman were totally flummoxed and at a loss as to what had to be done alternately. They had to be at Coimbatore by 10 for an important function. After much discussion and a few telephone calls, they arrived at a decision to board the long distance bus of the state road transport corporation and get off at Palakkad from where their relatives would ferry them over the remaining distance by car.

Saying that they'd find their way to the bus stand, they literally shooed me off to catch some sleep but I'd have nothing of it and insisted on seeing them board the bus. Throughout that short distance they're apologetic for the  plight(?) that they'd put me in and praised my parents for their fine son - I must admit that they're real nice words to hear at the beginning of the day!

Just prior to boarding their bus, both the gentleman and the lady hugged and showered me with kisses. I was really overwhelmed that I could radiate so much of positive energy through an insignificant act of mine. I'd done it as part of my duty and frankly, had seen my parents in them at first sight.

Tailpiece.

They're in touch with me all through the journey till they reached their destination and have promised to keep in touch with me from now on. Moreover, Lekha and me have got a standing invite to visit them at their home in New Delhi!

No comments:

Post a Comment