Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My father has gone into the mist of time


Dateline 10 Jan.

No more waiting for son's Sunday morning calls!

As I was leaving home for the afternoon session at my office, Sanil, my younger brother-in-law called me to say that dad had passed away. Dad was fed lunch by mom and lay on bed while mom was having her lunch in the adjacent room when she heard him cough. By the time, she'd gone to see as to what the reason was, it was all over. Her partner of this life, had left her, never to return.

Dad had beaten us to it. Lekha and me were to have left for home to cut mom's birthday cake tomorrow and go on to celebrate my parents' wedding anniversary on 16 Jan. And I'd kept our programme a secret to surprise mom and dad but what I was unaware was that dad had already firmed up his plans for the ultimate journey and had in turn, decided to spring his surprise on me!

We'd fetched up at my home by about 2200h where dad was lying in state in the glass bubbled coffin. The person who's the very reason for my existence, who'd nurtured me and showered his love all through and made me what I'm today, lay still and seemed to be at peace and resting after an eventful 86 years.Was he tired of it all, did I live up to his expectations?.........I'll never ever know. 

At least, he doesn't have to wait for his son's Sunday morning calls anymore!!






No comments:

Post a Comment