Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cannot fake emotions.

Dateline 11 Jan.

I'm just through my father's funeral and have gone through a roller coaster of emotions. A lot many people of the place - from far and wide - had filed past my father's body lying in state and were in attendance as the final ceremony at the pyre was on.

My mind was numb and I just followed the instructions passed on to me by the gentleman who was conducting me through the entire ceremony. As I took off dad's glasses and untied the knots from the toes and the hands, I realised that his earthly form was in view for the last time and caressed his face, his cheeks and chin - desperately wanting him to get up and tell us all that he was befooling us and it was all a joke!

As the face was covered with the white and red shrouds and logs of wood were stacked up, I and my nephew lit the pyre and huge tongues of flame began engulfing the huge stack and within no time it was a raging fire. The first offering of food for the departed soul was placed on a small banana leaf and the call for the crows were given by my clapping with wet hands. The crows swooped in soon after and the offering was consumed within no time. I was told by the 'karmi' that my dad was mighty pleased with our efforts!!


Tailpiece.

The guests who'd come in had to be personally thanked and seen off on completion. Had to chat, make polite conversation, hug a kid here and hug another there and also smile at an odd occasion when someone told a joke to lighten my feelings - damn sweet of them. Later, my sister'd told me that a guy had remarked that I should've been serious and brooding all through.

I suppose, he doesn't understand that I can't fake emotions!!!          

No comments:

Post a Comment