Friday, January 13, 2012

What made the crows take such a long time?

Dateline 13 Jan.

Bhaskaran, the karmi assisting me in the 'bhog' ceremony, was dot on time. After getting the things, we went about setting up the makeshift stove to prepare the 'bhog'. Thanks to the heavy overnight dew, the firewood was wet, making it a difficult proposition but finally managed to get it going.

The 'bhog' was ready at long last, the ceremony was put through its paces and the banana leaf with the three small balls of rice were offered to the crows. Despite clapping with my wet hands, many a time after the mandatory three, no crow was in sight. I was near panic - weren't my efforts sincere and pure enough, why was my dad cross? I mean, why're the crows holding back? Bhaskaran comforted me by saying that the population of the crows was low and hence, the long wait had become a necessity during these times as his experience in these matters told him.

Finally, after what seemed to be an agonisingly long wait, a couple swooped down to feast on the offering.

And boy, the relief that engulfed me was simply overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment