Friday, September 14, 2012

Disturbing trends.....

1. Where has ethics gone?

We'd decided to go for a late night Malayalam movie as maman was with us. In fact, he'd insisted on taking us out for the evening. The movie, which was the common choice, happened to be running in a triple theatre complex. On reaching there, a trifle after 2100h, we found to our utter dismay to find a 'House Full' board hanging out at the main gate. Undeterred, maman and Lekha ventured into the premises to reaffirm whether the tickets for the movie in question had also been sold out. Their thinking was based on the knowledge that the movie had been running for almost a month and would have consequently, lost steam in terms of the number of viewers!

The guy at the counter congratulated(?) them on their luck because he claimed that he was left with a limited number of tickets for the balcony as the theatre was almost choc-a-bloc with the weekend viewers! Since I'd taken a longer time to park my Chevy, I'd sat away from them till interval. It was during the break that I came to know about the initial happenings and against that backdrop, we noticed that not even a single seat of the entire 'dress circle'(encompasses the front benches also) was occupied. In other words, only the tickets for the balcony were sold for the particular screening hours, falsely  showing an imaginary glut! The guy at the counter had deliberately fibbed!!

A case of real swindling of the public!!!


2. Without my patronage!

On return from the movie, I was in for a rude shock. We're aghast to find notices, in Malayalam, pasted on the lifts of our residential building saying that 'the domestic helps and their families must avoid using two of the three lifts available, failing which they'd be ejected out of the premises' - and that the order was from the president, himself, meaning your's truly!

As I'd said in my thoughts of the previous day, I'm totally against such discriminatory practices based on a misplaced, feudalistic mindset!

My maman and Lekha were quick to give me a rap on the knuckles for the barbaric notice. The only way that I could show them that it wasn't my directive was to tear off the notices from the buildings -which I went about doing at that unearthly hour itself - while making a mental note to tell the secretary of my action and to correct the misplaced perception, the first thing in the morning!


Tailpiece.

Bewilders me totally! Are these the trends of the times? I hope not and sincerely wish that I'm wrong on this one!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment