Thursday, September 13, 2012

The mental block that we suffer from...

This evening we'd the meeting of 'the core committee' of our residential association. Many new faces have been inducted and the team ,now, has a balanced mix of experience and freshness! The presence of women members has enhanced the quality of decisions so say some of the residents and I shan't contest that because valuable inputs from them have helped me to bring about sweeping changes in the way the organisation functions and delivers.

I guess that this will be the team that I'd handover to the next incumbent which is still a long way off and before that happens, the team needs to do much more.

In the course of this evening's proceedings, a point came in from some of the members about disallowing domestic helps from using the lifts. I've strongly opposed this ideology all the while because, to my mind, it persists in some of us thanks to the British scorn passed on to us from the days of their rule when 'dogs and Indians were disallowed' entry into many places. I'd my way when we arrived at the final decision that no such restrictions will be clamped in our colony. And no, I'm not looking for popularity as I've no intention of standing for elections! It's from a conviction, deep within, which endorses the sentiments that in an enlightened society no one should ever be crucified for the 'accident of their birth'.


Tailpiece.

The other bugbear that surfaces during such meetings is to hanker for disallowing pets - usually dogs - in the lifts. I remember Bruno, my pet Doberman - he's no more, died 9 yrs back - invariably lifted his leg to ease himself, immediately, on entering the lift.

How does one ensure that the dog owner follows the correct etiquette on such occasions - he's to ensure that the poop is cleared immediately after and cleanliness restored. He has the option to do it himself or to get it done through someone else - but mind you, a genuine animal lover shall never grudge doing that himself, ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment