Saturday, September 15, 2012

To Neelamperoor, my grandfather's birthplace.

It's another 'hartal' in the state, this time to protest on the Rs.5/- hike on diesel prices that has been announced by the government. Life'd come to a standstill but my office had followed its normal Saturday routine.

At 1700h, it was kick off time for Neelamperoor to be in time for the evening 'aarti' at the 'devi' temple there and to a pilgrimage to the 'Puthuvayil Veedu' - a stone's throwaway from the temple - where young PN Panicker was born on 01 Mar 1909. The journey was smooth as the usual flow of traffic had not gained its momentum after the 12 hour disruption, perhaps, because another weekend was already on.

We'd reached Neelamperoor by a half past eight and had a 'darshan' of the goddess, who's out of the sanctum sanctorum, surveying the entire scene and the sea of people, that was in a frenzy to get the 'padayani' going or the battle lines drawn, with the numerous figures of birds, elephants etc (termed 'annam') - made out of wood, the soft bark of the banana trees and hay - of varying sizes and hues. The air was rent with an electric and all pervasive excitement.

The 'Puthuvayil House' was lit up in all its glory. I'd a trip down memory lane as I went about pacing the courtyard and the entire surroundings.


Tailpiece.

I was told by our folks that my grandfather had always made it a point to be at Neelamperoor on the day of the 'pooram', year after year. And I'm sure that he was there, silently, this time too!

It was also great to meet my relations of that branch of the family tree. Silently, I told myself that I'd also keep my appointment with the Neelamperoor Devi every year on pooram, from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment