Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sad.....deplorable....

 A bill that's not good.

A government that's being continuously buffeted by scam after scam, the opposition trying to fish in troubled waters and the continuing logjam, thanks to the pandemonium in Parliament has brought about a hastily conceived bill on 'Reservation for promotion' that's almost sure to sail through as it's yet another example of vote bank politics. And who'd be the beneficiaries? Paswan's dependents and the likes, who've the best of both worlds! When will we ever learn? Or do we never want to learn?

Reservation for the downtrodden - the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes - was instituted at the time of independence with the noble thought of their welfare and to provide equal opportunities to them along with their counterparts from the forward castes. It was supposed to last for 10 years to allow them to attain parity with the others but has been maintained ever since to serve a selfish political system! Unfortunately, 66 years have passed and the divide is perpetrated in the form of 'reservation for promotion'. In between, there was an unsuccessful attempt at issuing them with identity cards too - thankfully, the hare brained scheme got the contempt that it deserved and was dropped quietly.

And through the tabling of this bill, isn't the government tacitly admitting that the existing promotion system in its departments is faulty?


Tailpiece.

Years back, I and a few of my course mates were out together at a picnic. During the course of the fun and frolic, one of them had come up with a joke to regale all of us and I quote, 'An announcement heard from an athletic meet - last and final call for 400 mts' run. And here's a special announcement to make, athletes under the reservation quota need run only 200 mts'.

I still remember the Herculean efforts required on my part to mollify two of our mates, subsequent to that. And I can never forget one of them asking me in the quiet confines of our staying area later, 'Rajeev, do you really like me for what I am or is it the sympathy factor thanks to my wretched background?' I remember having mumbled that no such devious thought ever came into my mind and assured him that I liked him for what he was and would always like to have him as my buddy, whenever I was in harm's way, because I knew that my life was safe in his hands!

I think my answer was convincing enough for him for I heard his snore soon after as I lay with a lump in my throat with sleep hard to come by!


PS.

Have we ever allowed the SC/STs to attain parity with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment