Monday, September 3, 2012

Gatecrashing......

Dateline 02 Sep.

It was another trip home and my maman was with us. He'd to be dropped at the venue of a wedding, enroute. But on reaching there, he insisted on us too joining the proceedings especially when a couple - whom we knew and was from the groom's side - on sighting us, wouldn't let us go without being part of the crowd. Frankly, one wasn't dressed up for the occasion - I was wearing a very loud, dark green Khadi shirt with yellow blotches presented by maman as 'onakkodi'. I'd worn it as it was flowing and comfortable, fit for travel!

To the lady's comment that she always thought me to have an acceptable dress sense but was now plumbing abysmally low depths in that department could only elicit a weak, helpless smile from me. Silence is a virtue on such occasions and I'd hung onto that virtue!

There was a sizable section of the guests who're familiar with my grandfather. I can never forget the way an elderly lady - whom I was introduced to during the course of my stay at the venue - wistfully remembering my grandfather's official visits near her locality, the way he used to conduct the functions and how they're made to feel as a part of a huge, close knit family. She kept holding my hands and wouldn't let them go even as we're preparing to leave! And 'chechi' - she was addressed thus by everyone - hailed from Kannur.


Tailpiece.

I must admit that I never felt out of place, at the venue, as there were many that I knew and it was great to meet them, albeit out of the blue. Of course, I did feel self conscious while having lunch - that I was never invited to - which I must hasten to add was elegant and delicious. The newly wedded couple was blessed and here's wishing them a long and happy wedded life, yet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment