Thursday, May 16, 2013

22 years later......

On this day, 22 years ago Lekha had come into my life. There were calls from our relatives and friends to wish us on our special day. And I was transported in time....

I remember every incident, every personality that had contributed in some way or the other towards the smooth conduct of the ceremony and here are some of the trivia:-

     (a) My house was teeming with friends and relatives as someone'd said that she's looking forward to it
          for a long while. That seemed to be an overwhelming sentiment! There was a reason as it had
          taken its own time to bear fruition as I'd insisted on Rema - my immediately younger kid sister -
          tying the knot before me and boy, didn't she take her time to find her suitable man. But I must admit
          that the wait turned out to be good for her!
     (b) Lekha's biological mother did not attend the function as she didn't want to be the focus of an
          avoidable discomfort to her father and the stepmother, if she were to have partaken in the ceremonies.
          She made up for it by coming and staying with us about 10 days later, to shower her blessings.
     (c) My dad and mom had ensured that nothing was left to chance by their meticulous planning, taking
          the finer points from my maternal grandparents( my paternal grandparents must have witnessed the
          ceremony from the heavens, I'm sure!)
     (d) There were a small bunch of my very close friends who'd taken it up on themselves to help dad
          in the organising bit, to the extent of running essential errands with utter disregard to their own comfort
          at times.
     (e) Biju, my man Friday, who was a great help all through the run up (almost a week) to the actual day.
     (f) Was it ostentatious? In hindsight, yes - could have avoided the fleet of cars and opted for a couple
          of coaches!

But the two aspects that shall always remain etched in memory - the first, took place three days prior to the wedding and the second, soon after the wedding as we're moving in for lunch:-

     (a) My second kid sister, Minni, had an epileptic attack for no particular reason as I could fathom.
          And she did require our constant care and attention, subsequently.

     (b) My grandmother telling me that she didn't mind if her end were to come about, anytime thereafter, as  
          she'd been an active participant at my wedding which was a desire that she'd carried for long.


Tailpiece.

1. My grandmother had passed away into eternity about two months later. Did she have a premonition of what was to come? But she'd promised to come and spend time with us at Ooty where we'd gone post marriage, notwithstanding the busy official schedule of my grandfather.

2. Many other key players have passed into the mist of time, with my dad being the latest addition to that long list.    

No comments:

Post a Comment