Sunday, May 26, 2013

Back at Kochi.

Got up, on the dot at 6, seeing my mom light the lamp in the puja room and was very happy with the sight. From my position, I'd folded my hands in obeisance at my mom, since she'd become the embodiment of my God at that instant and said a small prayer that I should be privy to this sight for the years to come!

It was a trifle after 10, that we could kick off from our home. My mom and sister had to pass their instructions to the milkman, the newspaper boy, the rubber tapper and the immediate neighbours about their forthcoming absence for about a fortnight with the fond hope that they'd keep an eye on our ancestral house so that unwanted trespassers are kept at bay. I've always found that such exercises are in futility as the neighbours have their own stuff to worry about, but the redeeming factor is the sense of satisfaction that the exercise gives, of having entrusted the responsibility of safety to someone else - somewhat akin to the handing over of one's duties to the new incumbent in an army outpost! However, I didn't put across my inhibitions as I didn't want to be a party pooper!!

Before we cast off, I'd stopped for a while at the spot, where dad's mortal remains were consigned to the flames, to brief him about our programme and had asked him to take care of us. I'm convinced that the conversation, though one sided, is being heard by my dad and therefore, I go through this ritual religiously, every time, on arrival at and on departure from home!

The journey was uneventful except for the rains at certain stretches and a comparative sparseness in the traffic on the highway. With a 45 minute lunch break at a wayside motel, we're back at Kochi at our home in three hours. My Chevy looked as though I'd just returned from a dirt ride and the boy who cleans it up is gonna have a tough time tomorrow.

The dining table was full(?) of people for a change and it was a boisterous evening.


Tailpiece.

There's a respite from the heat thankfully. But the thundershowers of the previous days have claimed their first casualty - flooding of certain low lying areas coupled with the encroachments by the sea! A teaser trailer for bigger things? I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment