Saturday, May 18, 2013

On being forced to do an error.....

This afternoon I'd done something unpardonable. I was driving back from work and had to keep an appointment. What I did was to overtake a vehicle under close quarters and then cross its path - an action that smacked of supreme arrogance as it would have appeared to a bystander but actually, brought about by my impatience! Luckily, there was no mishap thanks to the efficiency and the presence of mind of a fellow driver who had maintained his vehicle in a good condition.

The reason for my impatience was an uncouth driver who was behind me constantly honking on his horn. I'd earlier, while waiting at the level cross, told him that the use of his horn could be minimised especially since we're in bumper-to-bumper traffic and that, he'd the full freedom to overtake me as and when he could squeeze the space to do so. And I thought that he'd understood me by his quiet demeanour and his nod of the head - he was a middle aged gentleman.

But my assumption seemed to be totally wrong as he'd his car's horn blaring away, the moment the traffic had begun to move on the opening of the railway gate. The surprising thing was that he was able to rattle me and in the process, I'd caused discomfort to another unsuspecting motorist as I'd said, at the beginning. I could only mumble an embarrassed apology to the affected guy who was sweet enough to acknowledge it with a wave of his hand. Wish I could be as composed as he was after the close quarter situation!


Tailpiece.

There's a need to control my temper. And it made me realise as to how a good driver had prevented me from having to visit the service station, close on the heels of the previous one, by his impeccable manners.

No comments:

Post a Comment