Saturday, May 4, 2013

These are the things that I see.

Seeing a number of things happening around, I've zeroed into a few of them which has fascinated or bewildered or even amused me. Are they the direct result of seeing 'what's-on-offer' on television or do they signal the trends of the present times? Do I endorse them? In a sense, no; but who am I to endorse or do otherwise except from the responsibility implicit in me of being a responsible citizen? And it's my firm belief that every generation has the right to chose what they need, make their mistakes and learn lessons from them and are to be assisted when they get back seeking your advice. At that moment when they're with their chips down, no amount of condescension on your part or the 'I-told-you-so' attitude is gonna be of any help. Empathy is all that they require and they'd see the light of reason - I'm sure about that. So, here I go on some of my observations:-

     (a) Tattooing all over.

          It's become a craze and the protagonists insist on having them displayed on the prominent parts of
          their body. Probably, they're trying to convey their attitude to the others but what it possibly could
          be has missed me. Is it defiance or is it a fashion statement? But what bewilders me is the pain one
          undergoes while the tattoo is being inscribed. Crazy diagrams, names or even statements are on
          display and what defies me ultimately is the way young moms and dads indulge in this strange
          pastime!

     (b) The craze for bakery delicacies.

           Children crave for instant noodles, wafers, toffees and aerated drinks that's justifiable. The thrill to
           be having something like the numerous children seen on the advertisements gives a sense of  
           satisfaction and an ego boost besides reiterating the fact that their parents can afford them. My
           own nephew, Kripashankar studying in class VI, comes for movies with me to have his share of
           'Lays' chips, popcorn and Frooti. But if anyone is under the impression that he isn't concentrating
           on the movie thanks to his gastronomical incursions, then he's gonna get flummoxed as the youngster
           would be able to recall the film - frame by frame - much after one's left the cinema! He, like many
           other kids, has a weakness for the sweet named 'Kinderjoy', not so much for the eatable but for
           the miniature statuettes that accompany as compliments!

     (c) The piercing of the body.

          Another case of exhibitionism but what baffles me is the readiness to undergo pain to have rings or
          similar ornaments adorning the pierced spots - ears(in case of the boys!), upper ear-lobes, the central
          cartilage of the inner nose, the eye brows and the navel button. I must confess that I begin to feel
          the pain whenever I see such stuff.

      (d) Continuous texting.

            Continuous texting on the cellphones is common sight. Each one's keen to convey what he or she's
            doing along with the eagerness to know what its recipient is up to. In the process, they're quite
            oblivious of the things happening around in their immediate vicinity! And I'd rather leave out the
            cell phone conversations - it's a tool to effective communication, you see!!


Tailpiece.

Having said the foregoing, I seriously wonder as to whether these are meaningful observations, in the first place, or are they the misplaced apprehensions of an elder? I shall leave that to be answered by the others!             

No comments:

Post a Comment