Sunday, May 5, 2013

Traversing through time.

It was bad news that had begun the day for me. My classmate and friend has been tested positive for a malignant growth in his colon. He's on the heavier side and has always been at the receiving end of our playful taunts because of his ample girth. We're good friends at school and have indulged in boyish pranks, managing to evade getting caught by the authorities through deft moves every time!

Gregarious and active, there was never a dull moment with him around. But with the medical revelation, has he lost that peppiness? All of us have told him, in no uncertain terms, that there was nothing insurmountable about his condition by citing scores of cases that have had happy endings. Though he did give a patient hearing, there was that faraway look on his face and a slight hint of a loss of confidence - a state that can happen to anyone of us at the initial stage!

I'm sure he shall overcome and bounce back to being his original self.

As I took leave of him, he hugged me and whispered into my ears, "Find time to visit me more often. I can't tell you as to how much your words have helped me". I'd quickly turned my head away and cracked a PJ, as  I disengaged myself because it was getting to be mushy.


Tailpiece.

As I backed my Chevy out off his porch and with him waving at me, my eyes had misted and I was reminded of a quote that I'd seen recently which was, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". I only hope that I was of some help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment