Saturday, May 11, 2013

Off for home on a long weekend!

After work, it was time again for the weekend trip for home to look up mom. Was there a bit of danger lurking around? No, I didn't comprehend it, but a series of events that took place in the short span of three hours were reasons to bring about that eerie feeling.

Firstly, I'd to do a diversion from the normal route that I take to get back home as vehicular traffic had come to an abrupt halt when a dredger had touched heavily on to the Venduruthy bridge. Prior to that, a friend and family had dropped in to say their hellos and in the process of catching up with them, I'd to miss the deadline of time - I mean, I didn't have the heart to leave them abruptly!

Finally, by about a half past one, we'd shaped our home bound course but disaster struck about ten minutes later. I was driving on the fast lane and there was a Road transport corporation's bus fairly ahead on the slower lane but an adamant pick up van wanted to overtake it by getting into my lane, for which he'd no space, really. But he persisted and I, too, mulishly stuck onto my speed and course(Lekha was insisting that I back off, but the haughty Chevy driver in me had arrogantly pressed on) and within no time, my left rear view mirror was smashed to smithereens. I was wild and had the pick up truck stopped to find its cowering driver, apologetic and remorseful. Though I'd taken down his cellphone number and the address, I was sure that there would be no follow up from my side because he was too weak.

'Akrasia'(embarking on a course of action fully well knowing its dire consequences!) had taken charge of both of us, at that spur of the moment - and I fixed the major chunk of the fault on myself. Thankfully, there were no other damages but the rump of what was left of the mirror taunted me of two things throughout the remaining journey :-

        (a) My stupidity and
        (b) The possible drastic consequences that we could have ended up with!

The rest of the drive was peaceful as Lekha and Achu, my nephew, tried to lighten the atmosphere by discussing other things. It was a huge relief to see mom, Minni and Ammu, my niece. And without waiting, we went about celebrating Minni's birthday by cutting the cake accompanied by the celebrations.


Tailpiece.

I shall only breathe easy, once I hand over my Chevy to the service station to make good the damages, first thing on Tuesday morning, on return to Kochi. Till then, that rump of the mirror is gonna give me sleepless nights!  

No comments:

Post a Comment