Saturday, May 3, 2014

A close crop!

I've been wanting to visit the hair dresser over the last week but couldn't make it thanks to the numerous work that had come up. Thanks to the habit that has been ingrained over the years, since my school days, if a few strands of hair peeped over the ear lobes or the hair in the nostrils peeped out, it brings about an unease that cannot be described in words! And so it was with me for the past few days!!

And this morning I'd finally found my way to the saloon after having taken up an appointment. Named 'Amigos', its proprietor had set up the hi-tech center that provides a lot of services to its customers - from a simple haircut to a complete body massage with the help of modern equipment and contraptions manned by young boys - after his fairly long stint in one of the gulf countries. He'd proudly taken me around the saloon to explain the facilities that were available - during my first visit - and had recommended that I must avail of the 'complete body massage' facility as he insisted it to be the highlight of his outfit that no other in the field could provide.

The young man who'd embarked on working on my head went about his work in right earnest after giving the preliminary head wash. As he went about his pace, I'd dozed off and by the time I'd snapped out of it, I saw a different your's truly looking back at me from the mirror in front with much of my sparse thatch of hair shortened beyond the usual length. I'd the urge to howl at the protagonist but checked my rising temper as I realised that my dozing off had prevented my providing the necessary directives at the crucial time. But I did tell him that he'd exceeded his brief today especially because of the fact that he'd worked on my hairstyle during my previous visit and therefore, knew as to what I preferred. He mumbled an apology and was he scared that I'd complain to his boss? His looks seemed to suggest that though I hadn't even thought of doing anything of that sort!

As I passed through the reception counter, seeing myself in the full length mirror I realised that I resembled a plucked chicken and couldn't help but smile at the transformation - out of sheer helplessness, perhaps! Or was I having a dig at my new found looks?

I sure did resemble one of those stiff looking guys of Hitler's feared Gestapo of old!!    


Tailpiece.

Quite a few jobs that had piled up over the past few days have been cleared. The Quarterdeck was agog with activity with my younger sister and gang having fetched up this morning and they're gonna be here for the next couple of days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment