Saturday, May 17, 2014

Priceless!

This morning, after wolfing down my aunt's yummy breakfast of steaming idlis, chutney with the coconut aroma and filtered coffee, the three of us had kicked off on our onward trip to my dad's place. I'd to, however, make my error and so, as I backed the Chevy out of my aunt's place its right bow scraped neatly(?) against the wrought iron gate of the house!

The young ones, Vivek and Lakshmi, were fast asleep after the late night and I can bet that they'd missed us and felt terribly sad that they couldn't see us off!

Our first destination was Puthupally, about a 100 km away, to look up my aunt who has been undergoing ayurvedic treatment for her diabetes for the last couple of months. The clinic doesn't have the facade of the usual clinics that one's familiar with but it's an old 'Nair' bungalow replete with the traditional trappings, set against an abundant lush green backdrop with a stream of clean water, swiftly flowing bewitchingly close to the ornamental house. A place that enchanted me at first sight as I parked my Chevy at its courtyard!

Walking into the house, I'd woken up my aunt who seemed to be in a state of delirium thanks to the excruciating pain as she undergoes the second stage of treatment and the gradual, yet complete shedding of the gangrenous portion of her left foot is on.

And as she came out of her stupor, she looked straight into my eyes and flashed a brilliant smile or should I say, a million volt smile? ......... It made my day. It was worth the drive, the early morning mishap and the difficult patch of roads that I'd negotiated, notwithstanding! A short conversation with the unassuming doctor was educative and I've picked up yet another friend!!

We'd reached Lekha's sister's place by lunchtime.

And ultimately, at my dad's house a trifle after sunset!


Tailpiece.

We shall be here for the next three days as the formalities of the wedding of Lekha's nephew unfold. But tomorrow there would be a quick, short trip to Thiruvananthapuram to offer our condolences to my cousin who'd recently lost his mother-in-law due to old age related ailments.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment