Monday, May 12, 2014

Money comes....and goes..

I've heard this saying many a time and I suppose it's a 'fiscal rule' if I were to be permitted to coin a phrase. This story of mine will highlight what I'm trying to put across.

About three years back, Ramjee who used to visit me twice a month for haircut asked for Rs.40 grand to put his son into a public school. He'd actually taken the amount in two instalments and had promised to return in instalments before the calendar year got over. I've been impressed by his business acumen in that he'd got himself tenders - amid stiff competition - to run three saloons in Kochi and had provided employment for several youth and of course, his close relatives carefully chosen from his hometown in Bihar!

But despite all his promises he'd slipped up on repaying the amount and since coercion was not in my lexicon, I'd patiently given him time to return the amount. Sceptics might call me a 'soft' guy on money matters and the few, who knew about our transaction, had even asked me to forget the whole thing as a bad joke. But I was confident that the goodness inherent in him would ensure the return in due course. And sure enough, on the 10th of this month, he'd returned the last of the instalments.

A day later my relation, staying close to us here at Guruvayur, had called up to say that he was going through a financial crisis as his pension has not been forthcoming thanks to the problem riddled ex-organisation of his viz. the KSRTC. I must confess that I do not have the heart to say no to somebody when I've the wherewithal and I also strongly believe that when somebody asks for assistance, he's literally on his knees and therefore, not appropriate to belittle him further by sitting on the request or taunt about the 'repayability factor'. Anything given away should be done with dignity and without any denting of the person's ego further, otherwise it ceases to be a 'help' in the real case.

As directed, he and his wife had come to collect Rs.10 grand from me this afternoon. I can never forget the look that he'd given me as he took leave and I never asked him as to when he'd repay the amount. I only hope that his financial mess gets sorted out at the earliest and that, in turn, would pave the return of my money!

Yes, life is full of hopes and expectations. And it has to go on!


Tailpiece.

We'd my aunt - mom's youngest sister - and a cousin dropping in on us today. They'd come to pay their obeisance to the good Lord. And they're seen off by the night train to Thiruvananthapuram. It's nice catching up with them after what has been a long time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment