Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The unkindest cut.

We'd kicked off from home by about a half past 9. After dropping my sister at Kottarakkara, we'd shaped our course for Guruvayur. The roads were quite crowded thanks to the traffic usually prevalent on working days and so, driving through the maze was tricky yet interesting!

The weather was unbearably hot and humid despite the car's air conditioning system running at full blast - I mean we could feel it in the immediate envelope all around us. The highway, at certain stretches, was worn out exposing a few uncomfortable potholes though I must hasten to add that the repair work was being undertaken at many of the places - a sight that was new to me from the experiences of the past. They're gearing up for the monsoons which is just a fortnight away, judging from the meteorologist's forecast.

A light lunch and the evening tea, along with a snack, were savoured at roadside eateries. I enjoy the tea on such occasions - because of its flavour - and I'm always left mightily impressed by the deft making of the 'one-yard tea'. I must confess that I've tried replicating the action at home with disastrous results!

Guruvayur, these days, has a facade of an old fort thanks to the 'Kerala Water Authority' having dug around the temple town for relaying the underground water pipes. It was one such area at the town's entry point that I was trying to breach through with my Chevy with negative consequences. As I was negotiating a tight 's' curve, the port tail board suffered a dent from the concrete pipe that was jutting out - purely my mistake as I'd misjudged the space that was available for negotiating the turn.

The proverbial 'unkindest cut' to my Chevy after it had provided excellent service all through the last four days, covering over 800 km! Will I ever learn?  


Tailpiece.

We're back home by a trifle past 5. I could embark on my evening walk, as usual, that helped shed the lethargy caused by the lack of physical activity, over the last four days, as it was a never ending cycle of attending one function or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment