Thursday, May 15, 2014

There's corruption everywhere...

Corruption seems to be all pervading in this country and the situation has come to a sorry pass. And we've only ourselves to blame because we do not want to waste time by waiting in a queue to get a job done and therefore, are willing to bribe the ones in the hierarchy to enable us to buck the system!

I'd gone to the local outfit to pay my current month's telephone bill. I'd stood in the queue and after about twenty minutes, was able to come out with the job having been accomplished. And I'd come on another purpose too. I'd to find out as to why I wasn't given the ISD facility on my land line despite my having asked for it in my application for the initial connection.

Firstly, the officer at the counter seemed to be out of his depth and he'd asked me to submit a fresh application seeking the said additional facility and had offered a piece of paper and pen to me to do the needful. It was then that another gentleman of the organisation turned up at the counter that I was in and he gave me a clearer perspective, in that I'd to give a fresh request, on a prescribed format, which had to be endorsed by their 'Principal General Manager' and the additional fee that I'd to pay was Rs. 1,500/-, with an assurance that it would be processed by the office itself.

My doubt was simple and I did communicate it to them in no uncertain terms, the gist of which was as follows:-

 (a) I'd very clearly listed out my requirements in the initial application form which had covered STD facility,
      broadband cover, a parallel connection to help out my mom and Lekha because of their medical
      constraints and an ISD facility.

 (b) My land line had all the facilities that I'd requisitioned for, barring the ISD cover and I was scratching my
      head all this while as to why they hadn't informed me about the reasons for the missing facility.

 (c) I'd to remind them of three specific aspects about your's truly that were reflected in the original
      application viz. :-
             
                 (i) that I was a Captain of the Indian Navy.
                (ii) that I was a gallantry award winner and
               (iii) that my mom and Lekha were medical cases that required constant attention.

On hearing me, they'd gone into a huddle and had requested me to submit the additional application as quickly as possible. I'd then walked out of the office knowing fully well that I'd been wronged.

Wonder how the new government would tackle this aspect of corruption?


Tailpiece.

On reaching home, it's Lekha who'd pointed out the folly of going for the ISD facility on our land line when our cellphones were already equipped with this cover....... But to me, it was another fight for my rights!


No comments:

Post a Comment