Saturday, May 31, 2014

The faulty Haemogram.

Lekha is due for her doctor's review on 02 Jun and as a prelude to it, tests had to be carried out. Samples were drawn in a local pathology laboratory so that we could meet the doctor, armed with the results, to help him in the prognosis to fine tune the medicines that are being administered.

The said lab has limited facilities and hence, samples are sent to another at Thrissur for analysis. The 'complete blood count' or the haemogram fell under such a path and the results were promised 48 hours after the drawing of samples. This afternoon, after collecting my Chevy from the service station(The cause of the erratic working of the air conditioning system was finally identified and rectified. Phew!), I'd gone to collect the results from the lab which I'd pocketed, on receipt after a quick glance of the readings and the assurances given by the young lady at the counter saying that the readings were generally okay and that there was no cause for worry.

It was after reaching home and when I was trying to tuck in the results chronologically into Lekha's medical folder that I realised that the haemogram was silent on the ESR(Erythro Sedimentation Rate) reading! For an SLE patient like her, this aspect needs to be constantly monitored to ascertain as to whether the ailment was showing signs of a perking up. All my efforts at taking the complete medical history for the doctor's perusal seem to have gone in vain and it angered me. I'd immediately rung up the lab and told them about the faulty and incomplete haemogram and demanded a quick remedy because tomorrow was a Sunday and our tryst with the doctor was on Monday afternoon, at Kochi. I remember telling them that it was a breach of faith when the receptionist tried to offer an explanation that I'd not insisted upon the ESR bit!

The upshot of the conversation was that the apologetic lab authorities took a fresh draw of blood and had provided the ESR readings within a matter of an hour, without charging a penny. .......And they kept apologising for their faux pas. 

I suppose I was able to educate them about the contents of a haemogram and sincerely hope that they do not repeat the mistake, ever!


Tailpiece.

The ESR reading that I finally got has given me a cause for worry. Hope the doctor gives a soothing(?) prognosis!    

No comments:

Post a Comment