Sunday, May 25, 2014

When help came by.

The night was miserable. Lekha was unable to sleep thanks to a painful left leg - it's the same one that had undergone the skin graft recently and had slowly been restored to normalcy. At some point last evening, while she was getting out of the car she'd sprained it. A double dose of 'Ultracet' didn't help and I was at my wit's end because today was gonna be a long day as we'd to reach my dad's place at all costs to fetch mom back to Guruvayur. My younger sister, who was presently looking after her, was leaving for Bangalore tomorrow.

We'd gone off to the airport by 6 AM, even though I'd received an sms from the airlines that our flight was delayed by over two hours. I didn't want to put pressure on Sekhar for transport by changing my time of departure for the airport. Meanwhile, Lekha was writhing with pain all through and I tried to give her assurances that all would be okay as the pain killer takes effect. But it was not to be!

And then came the Raos - Sekhar's relations that we'd befriended the previous evening during the wedding reception - and seeing Lekha's discomfort, Lalitha gave her a 'Combiflam'. Within a matter of about half an hour, things had improved. However, I didn't want to take any chances and had rung up Gary, at Bombay, for additional reinforcements of pain killers and a wheelchair. She'd, by then, become a wheelchair bound passenger!

The lunch planned by Sarabjeet and Gary, for us at their house, had to be given the go by as the transit time was reduced because of the delayed start of our flight from Nagpur. We're at Kochi at the appointed hour and Nixon, negotiated his car through the by lanes and fetched us at my Chevy, so that I could get about a couple of hours of daylight driving - I hate night driving, you see.

We could reach home by about a quarter past 9. Mom was quite happy to see us and my sister, absolutely relieved!


Tailpiece.

I'd be failing in my duty if I didn't mention the people who'd helped us on their own initiative without which I'd have been a goner and they're:-

    (a) Pradip . The ever smiling 'saarthi' from Sekhar's stable who'd arrived on the dot at 6 to convey us
                       to the airport and was willing to take us at the revised timing.
    (b) Lalitha.  She gave the healing touch.
    (c) Gary.     He'd screwed up his Sunday just to be with us.
    (d) Nixon.   The trouble that he took to negotiate the side lanes to ensure that we didn't get delayed.
    (e) Paulson. My ex-2i/c who'd come by to see that we're not plagued with any problem.

How do I repay each of them for their kindness?

No comments:

Post a Comment