Friday, January 2, 2015

A guilt ridden journey

It was the early morning bus that brought us to the airport. The weather was nippy and the almost one hour wait at the Koramangala bus stop passed by without my realising it thanks to my conversation with Gopi Chittappan. It was at the airport that we'd realised that Lekha's identity card was not on person. The security staff was explained about the piquant situation and the young lady had allowed us entry into the airport!

The flight was uneventful and we reached Bombay at the appointed hour. Alam, my 'saarthi' during our stay, out here, seemed to have a cosmic connect with me as he'd given a call within minutes of my reactivating my cellphone after the landing formalities were over. The baggage clearance took an awfully long amount of time but soon we're off to the guesthouse that was gonna be our home for the next few days.

I'd called up my sister to inquire about mom's state and the answer was not very encouraging. The lab results were to be collected and shown to the doctor, which my sister did towards evening and she'd connected me to the doctor who said that he might have to admit mom if her condition did not improve within another 24 hrs. Her coughs had gotten to be too harsh and he'd prescribed a very potent drug to control it.

Suresh Inani with his wife, Indira and Prakash Vishwe had arrived before teatime and after, respectively. It was the commencement of a long, almost non stop chatter updating each other about ourselves since we're meeting up after having passed out of the Academy, so many years back. I felt that I was back in the Hunter Squadron as we recalled a slew of anecdotes.

The 'sangeet ceremony' was a grand affair and meeting up with Shekhar Murthy and Vijaya was simply great. The evening was exquisite meeting a whole lot of people - both friends and their relatives! It was almost midnight when we'd hit the sack.


Tailpiece.

As I was drifting to sleep, a strong feeling of guilt had overpowered me. I was having a ball out here while mom was suffering. Did I do the right thing by embarking on this trip notwithstanding the risk of losing the entire ticket fee?    

No comments:

Post a Comment