Wednesday, January 7, 2015

It's dad's third Remembrance Day.

Today was dad's third Remembrance Day as per the Malayalam calendar.

Time has really flown, since my dad had passed into the mist of time in the afternoon of 10 Jan 2012. I'd gone to the nearby 'Thiruvenkidam' temple, around 7 AM, to perform the yearly ceremony. Hari 'Thirumeni' steered us - there were four others with me - through the proceedings with clipped short instructions, that took a little over forty minutes. In his mid 40s, he'd gone about giving us the requisite ingredients that were to be offered to the 'souls' taking quick, short strides despite being restrained by his huge bloated legs thanks to the sickening ailment of Filariasis.

What I liked about him was that he didn't have a business like attitude, unlike quite a few others who're eager to make a fast buck during such occasions.

And dad remained in my thoughts all through the day. Mom - she's still recovering from the nasty viral fever and the after effects of the antibiotics administered on her - recalled a few anecdotes about my dad and laughed at his clumsy moments. A few distinct snapshots that zoomed into my mind from the deep recesses of my mind were:-

       - my dad trying to wake me up - I was feigning sleep and was angry with him for not having
         taken me along for an outing - to give me chocolates and a toy.

       - him walking away without looking back, even once, after admitting me at the boarding school.
         Earlier, he'd told me that I needed to be a brave boy!

       - his excited demeanour at my passing out from the NDA, Kharakvasla.

       - his happy countenance, at the New Delhi airport, when he and mom had come to spend a few
         days with us.

       - his thrill throughout the journey when we'd gone to the 'Palani' temple of Tamilnadu. He'd then
         told us that we needed to undertake such trips more frequently but little did I realise that it was
         gonna be his last trip!

Dad, we miss you!


Tailpiece.

It was a day of getting back to the 'Guruvayur frequency'! Clothes had to be washed, interrupted services had to be restarted and a few errands had to be run!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment