Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Bangalore to Guruvayur in 9 hrs.

I don't claim to be a fast driver, in fact, I must confess that I'm never comfortable beyond 90 kmph though I'd touched 120, in a sustained manner today, since the highway was really good. It's the odd vehicle that cuts across through the gaps in the center median that upsets once calculations and can end up in disasters, that are always waiting to happen.

We'd kicked off from my sister, Minni's place at Gottigere, Bangalore at the crack of dawn by 6 and the traffic was absolutely manageable. There was a bit of a faux pas committed by me in finding a stopover for a rest room break as mom and Lekha, why even me, had desperately wanted that break, as our bladders had begun to agitate, but the appropriate(?) place just didn't fetch up. Finally, there was this old lady's teashop by the wayside that stood out as a godsend! She was very kind and seeing my mom's difficulty in getting out of and into the car, she gave her a 'special' cup of tea. Kindness, yet again, from the quarters that one least expects it from!

And soon after, we drove past numerous swanky joints - a recurring phenomenon, always. You may have experienced it yourselves! - that came by but I can bet, without the kindness and thoughtfulness of the ever smiling Maariamma!

At Palakkad, we'd gotten into my sister's flat where she'd kept hot beverage for us before leaving for her school in the morning. Subsequent stops for lunch and for picking up some fruits, were the only breaks, that I'd allowed in between, before driving into 'The Quarterdeck' ...........after a fortnight! We'd done it in 9 hours flat!!

And as I parked my Chevy at the porch, Mom did echo our collective sentiments, "It's nice to be back"!


Tailpiece.

(a) It's disheartening to find the landline telephone dead.
(b) The grandfather clock had also stopped working!
(c) The evening walk was exhilarating and I could meet many of the people that I usually come across during the time.......and wish a few of them a happy new year, belatedly!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment