Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A collage of thoughts....

There are too many things happening and hence, my thoughts are a wandering. Therefore, I'm going in for a hotch-potch today and here I go.....


(a) The silent hero.

There are very many heroes in society, leading normal lives but contribute immensely to the society through their lofty deeds making us wonder as to what makes them extraordinary. The values they'd have picked up from their homes, in the course of their upbringing must be the greatest contributor, as I reckon. Now take the example of the hangman who'd put the noose around Ajmal Kasab's neck and had carried out the execution. He refused his remuneration of Rs.5,000/- for the task saying that he'd carried out the duty for his country and for the unfortunate ones who'd lost their lives in the 26/11 carnage!

My salute to the gentleman, he's become my hero!!


(b) Shallow knowledge.

I've a modest opinion of my awareness of things and am of the opinion that I've much to learn. My biggest problem is that I've the propensity to resort to taking short cuts for results! To cite an example, this morning my kid sister had called up to get the synonym for 'a publicity hungry person'. The answer seemed to be on the tip of my tongue but had refused to come out despite my best(?) efforts. And what did I resort to then?

Called up my classmate, Padmasenan(at Kochi), a journalist and friend,Theresa(currently at Calcutta in connection with her son's wedding) and yet another friend, Chaitanya(at Delhi) to get the answer! Please observe the sheer spread, the distances covered(albeit by way of speech passing through telephone cables) and the extent of the inquiry in search of a quick fix solution with no damn effort on the part of your's truly!


(c) A great evening.

Yesoma and Vijayan had invited us to spend the evening at their place at Thuravoor. I was initially hesitant to accept the invite because their house was about 30 kms from where I live and getting out of the bottleneck of the traffic prevalent at the peak hours of the evening was a daunting task. But I'd finally come round to going there. And thank god I did because it was a simply wonderful evening.

Vijayan's parents' presence was the highlight of the evening as they met and showed their genuine glee at having us there. And for the occasion I'd decided to give a temporary break to my Sabarimala vows to partake freshly tapped toddy(I can be tempted by small things, eh?)  and boy, the spread on the dinner table consisted of a wide range of down-to-earth Malayalee cuisine!

We made friends with the entire family and the interaction with each of them was truly interesting and illuminating. As minutes melted into hours and the time to bid farewell had come about, I wished for a second that the evening could continue. Thanks once again to the genial and caring hosts for the time well spent - it showed that you care!!

No comments:

Post a Comment