Wednesday, November 7, 2012

This day, last year.

It was in the wee hours of this day, last year, that Santhan kochachan had passed into the mist of time. His loss to the family continues to be unbearable and Vilasini kunjamma, his wife has never been the same. Gone are her cheerful countenance, the easy manner in which she made friends with the others and above all, her interest to present herself immaculately dressed and groomed at all times. Her conversational pieces have been restricted to monosyllables and on very rare occasions extend to a few words after which she quickly retreats into her shell.

The thing that I remember about that sad day was that she hadn't shed a tear and seemed to be dazed about his going away so abruptly. And he was one husband who pampered his wife to the hilt! The common refrain within the family was that their love affair was a continuing saga with no diminishing in its intensity even after so many years.

There was an incident that had taken place a couple of months back at my cousin's wedding. She'd refused to have a wash and change to get ready for the occasion. Even my mom had tried to coax her into doing so but was unsuccessful. Eventually, she'd relented after I'd talked to her and boy, it required all my powers of persuasion with the entire family looking on. I've this sneaky feeling that she's in a surreal world with my kochachan. The doctor, who's looking after her medical management, says that she'd change, for the good, in course of time and patience was required.

It's my fond hope that we'd see a chirpy kunjamma amidst us as soon as possible!


Tailpiece.

I was immensely sad at the defeat of Mitt Romney at the US Presidential election, wonder why? Was I an American in my previous birth? And that too a Republican at that?  

No comments:

Post a Comment