Monday, November 12, 2012

Remembering Leela kunjamma.

13 Nov is my "ma'asi's" remembrance day according to the Malayalam calendar. The whole family had decided to conglomerate at her house at Paravoor.

Accordingly, we'd kicked off from Kochi around noon. The journey was comparatively smooth except for the stretch of the highway short of Kayamkulam - and boy, it's very, very bad! The first stop was at home and after a piping hot cup of mom's tea, we'd recommenced our journey towards Paravoor. I could see an air of excitement - tinged with sadness, though - in my mom because she's still not got over the fact that her kid sister was not with her anymore!

After an hour's journey, we're at 'Aswathy' and it was nice to meet everyone from the family together. And then came the most important item in the agenda - all of us bunched up into a circle to share each and everyone's individual experiences with Leela kunjamma. And memories of the immense love she'd selflessly given to each one of us came flooding, thick and fast. Kurup kochachan, too, had actively participated in the proceedings. It went on late into the night and had to be closed because everyone was supposed to be ready early morning tomorrow for the connected ceremonies.

It was an experience that I'd not have bartered for anything. I'd politely declined an official dinner at Thiruvananthapuram and a few of my classmates who're at the do had called up, in between, to say that they did miss our presence but appreciated my choice!

Leela kunjamma, we sorely miss you. It's my sincere hope that I'd lived up to your expectations.


Tailpiece.

How time flies! It seemed to be just the other day that Kurup kochachan and Leela kunjamma had come and spent a week with us, at our place, in Delhi. And how I wish time had stood still after rewinding to that spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment