Thursday, November 15, 2012

All in a day's work...

0600 h     Got up on the dot, went through my chores and was ready on time.
0850 h     Sebastian was clipping towards the office and we'd decided to take the route that
                circumvented the railway level crossing. After having dropped me, he was despatched
                to the Ernakulam Junction railway station to pick up the inspecting officer.
0935 h     A commuter comes seeking a reservation and one's able to oblige him. He returns
                thoroughly impressed and eternally grateful.
1000 h     Sebastian returns after dropping the guest at his designated place of stay. He's able
                to manage this feat because the roads are less crowded thanks to the striking auto
                rickshaws and taxis. Their strike is for an indefinite period as they are harking for higher
                rates of fares.
1030 h     Work is on at its usual pace. Guests' visit continues at its regular pace but today it seems
                that I've more than my normal share! The telephone needs constant attention.
1110 h     Queries from people regarding the 'Jan Vigyan Jatha' - as to where it was as of date, its
                charter and achievements thus far. Thankfully, the updates had reached me on time.
1205 h     Books, documents gone through - for the last time - prior to their inspection.
1300 h     Off for lunch. Following people of the residential association come with their problems that
                needed sorting out:-
                      (a) Santosh, the milkman, is facing difficulties in converting coupons to money. He's seeking
                           support for his bakery. He was advised as to how he needed to go about doing things
                           as his procedures weren't rightly prioritised.
                      (b) The garbage collector needs a loan of Rs. 20 grand for getting a water connection to his
                            house. The requirement seems genuine but he's just finished paying up an earlier loan.
                            Must see the in house rules on the issue before giving a final decision.
1430 h     Back at the office with much of my afternoon siesta knocked off!
1515 h     Activities for tomorrow tied up, down to the last minute. My car's insurance renewed as the  
                salesman had taken prior appointment.
1745 h     A little bit of football with the kids, soon after my return. I happen to be their Santa Claus!
1830 h     Off for my customary walk.
2030 h     Dropped Jojy and Saly at the Ernakulam Town railway station as they're to board the night
                train to Madras and there were no autorickshaws or taxis, thanks to the strike.
2130 h     A quiet dinner and watched a few favourite programmes on the television. Snatches of  
                conversation with Lekha, in between, got me updated with her activities of the day.
2300 h     At my laptop punching these thoughts. My sisters call up to catch up with me and my activities.
                Had to give my younger sister certain suggestions in connection with her work. The other sister
                wanted to know as to whether I'd be visiting Palakkad this coming weekend and I'd to concede
                sheepishly that it was yet to be decided as things were fluid. Tried to catch up on some reading
                but sleep was beckoning and so, gave it up after about 15 minutes.


Tailpiece.

A mundane life with equally mundane activities! But I was kept busy all the time. Are my priorities right, I wonder?   

No comments:

Post a Comment