Monday, November 26, 2012

Why the intolerance?

I'm part of my school's group on the net where anecdotes, appeals for help/assistance, news about the old boys who're seldom heard and spirited discussions on various issues take place quite frequently. In other words, it's a lively forum and I spend sometime, everyday, to go through the happenings on the circuit. And I must admit that I come away a much wiser man on issues, having perused the opinions of a wide cross section of my school mates in terms of age and geographical separation - it definitely ensures a meaningful dialogue!

But, of late, there are trends that alarm and sadden me. An opinion is viciously trashed and the originator is often hit below the belt with sarcastic comments tinged with malicious content. The individual is almost asked to just "shut up".

The great art of a debate or a discussion is the thrill that one gets from hearing all the opposing and contradicting viewpoints on a subject and by using reasonable and forceful articulations, one's able to get the majority, if not everyone, to accept one's way of thinking! And of course, in extreme situations, agree to disagree but never by belittling the opposition nor by resorting to personal digs.

Sadly, the tendency to shout down the opposition is a rising trend and individuals have displayed levels of intolerance that doesn't augur well. I'd still like to believe that it's an aberration and an attempt to generate 'heat' in the circuit and shall wait for it to pass.


Tailpiece.

What amazes me is that the intolerant behaviour is generally restricted to guys who've been nurtured by many of us or even my seniors. I thought the mulishness came from some of our elders with their set pattern of thinking or am I far off the mark on this one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment