Monday, November 19, 2012

In perpetuity.

Got the unsettling news that my mom has had a fall this morning. The wounds are superficial, as I reckon, after my chat with her. Was there a hint of a lack of confidence in her ability to look after herself any more? She'd quickly negated my suggestion of coming and staying with us at Kochi, though.

The sequence of events that led to the mishap was some thing like what I'm gonna narrate. There was a workforce of five girls who're deployed, since 8 AM, to trim the grass and do up the hedges in the compound surrounding the house. My mom had gone to meet each one of them, provide a cup of tea that she'd prepared herself and have a chat in the bargain. This is familiar behaviour, in that, I've seen my father and before him, my grandfather interacting with the people who came working on our fields and catering to their needs, the harshness of the weather notwithstanding - the only difference being that the size of land that we have has dwindled drastically, as much of it has been sold as it was becoming unwieldy and getting labourers on time was becoming a task nigh impossible!

My mom had an umbrella over her head to beat the sun and that happened to be her undoing. On her return, after the interaction with the fifth girl, she'd tripped on an exposed root of a tree and went for a toss with the teapot, umbrella et all. I suppose since she was on a philanthropic beat, the fall did not incapacitate her even for a moment. Ammu, my niece, who was studying indoors rushed out to retrieve her grandmother and administered timely first aid. A retired compounder, who stays in the vicinity, was summoned and he administered a Tetanus shot. And most importantly, he's confirmed that there's no fracture!

At 76 years of age, my mom's been keeping good health and thankfully, doesn't have any medicines to take the only exception being a table spoonful of Bayer's tonic every morning, along with her breakfast! But ever since my dad's passing away she seems to have 'put on years' suddenly and I pull her leg saying that she walked like Shah Rukh Khan, the robot, in his movie 'Ra One'. And she just can't sit idle!!

God, pse take care of her and see that no harm befalls her. ( I'm sure He would because she plucks the flowers from the garden for her 'puja' in the mornings and lights the lamp, both in the morning and in the evening, chants her favourite set of prayers and reads a portion of the 'Mahabhagavatham' twice, everyday).


Tailpiece.

(a) I will be making a dash over the weekend to look her up and give a few books for her to read.
(b) Of late she's less enthusiastic to attend the telephone as she's become a bit hard of hearing! But her eyesight has been good after the cataract operation carried out on both the eyes last year at Kochi, with dad around!!
(c) And yes, her discomfort is a worrisome thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment