Sunday, November 25, 2012

Weekend musings.

It was a busy weekend as I'd packed quite a few activities that needed to be done and could not be made to wait. A sense of timing is a must to put things in perspective.

1. To the hospital.

97 year old grand aunt of mine , Ammini Amma, has been having difficulty in breathing and is fighting a general weakness because of alarmingly low Sodium levels in her system. She's been derisive occasionally but at other times, shows clarity in her thinking. I'd gone to meet her and though she didn't seem to recognise me by sight - she held on to my hand tightly while blabbering away, incoherently, all through.

It's my fond hope that she comes out of this difficulty as quickly as possible. One might call us greedy and not in sync with life's vagaries, but what's wrong in us wanting her to be around for some more time?


2. Voter's ID card.

We'll soon have our voter's ID card. The online registration, the consequent appointment for photography and other activities had taken its stipulated time but finally, that work has been done. At least, one feels armed for the next elections and is not required to scan voters' lists and move around with slips, in lieu. Whatever said and done, the election commission has been going about it systematically and there sure's a methodicity in the madness.


3.  Review of the security system.

Owing to the recent burglary, the entire security system of our residential area is under close scrutiny. I really feel small because I've been reactive, rather than being proactive, in this aspect and the irony is total when I've been a staunch critic of the security system prevalent all around! Tighter measures - which might invite strong disapproval from the residents themselves - including plugging of the gaps of a porous boundary and enhancing the height/augmenting with coils of barbed wire of a section of the wall and instituting a 'biometric' entry for all are some of the measures that are being discussed.

But the biggest hurdle is to bring about a change in attitude in the people. They've to understand that security can only be foolproof if they're willing to go through frequent queries by the sentry and frisks, if required. There's no short cut to an efficient and effective security system. The administering of the 'bitter pill' is my responsibility and I need to do it at the earliest.


4. 'Changing' neighbourhood.

Our neighbours are set to move for Bombay shortly. They're in the process of undoing their house and putting their articles into packing cartons. We've been providing them with logistic support which is the usual custom anywhere and there's nothing great to write home about. But they've been extremely grateful and have gone to town about our 'helpful' attitude. I can only smile at the fact that it just requires minutely small deeds to get acclaimed and as I'd said, we've not done anything spectacular or gone out of the way.


Tailpiece.

And there was a bit of work which required my presence in station and therefore, going home to meet mom had to be put off. She's recovered completely and probably sensing my predicament, she had said, "You don't have to worry about me and anyways, I'm going to be with you by the second week of next month when your sister goes off to Bangalore", during our customary morning chat, today, over the telephone.

Was she disappointed with me? Had I let her down?......She'll never let me know!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment