Saturday, June 8, 2013

A miraculous escape.

It was around five minutes past 8 in the evening. I was getting ready to attend a function when my cell had started ringing......there was a sense of urgency as certain calls have a way of demanding your attention forthwith. It was a very calm Radhika - a friend of our's - who had met with a road accident and was inquiring as to whether I could pick her up from the scene. She'd tried to contact her son but to no avail and she didn't want to inform her husband as he was recouping from a heart related problem.

I was dazed for a moment I must confess and had then collecting my thoughts, called up her son. I was able to get him on the first ring and he, along with his father, had rushed to the spot, soon after.

The scene looked ghastly. Radhika's car had turned turtle thanks to an overtaking autorickshaw which had made her swerve and climb on to the centre median of the road, turning the car upside down. Providentially, she didn't even have a scratch on her! There was a sizeable crowd around with the cops in attendance!!

She'd gone for her music classes and was returning home. The family was expected to join us at the function, later in the evening. During our subsequent interaction what she said really bloated my ego and I must quote that bit of reaction since it momentarily elevated me in my self esteem, "You know I was totally dazed and blank for a moment. My son came into focus and I'd called him up without success. Then the next person that had come to my mind was you and hence the call".


Tailpiece.

Nice to know that I'm perceived to be reliable and capable of wading through difficult situations. Others seem to be pretty sure on that though I ain't confident, I must confess.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment