Sunday, June 2, 2013

An impromptu musical evening...

We'd kicked off from Palakkad soon after lunch to a lovely weather. The drive was nice and uneventful. Except for a short break enroute for tea, we could fetch up back home before 1700h. Earlier, before starting on our return journey, I'd felt a heaviness in my chest and I'd promised myself that I'd go for my evening walk without fail, come hell or high water!

So, after sunset, I'd set off for my walk with the discomfort still lingering on and in my enthusiasm, I'd forgotten to arm myself with an umbrella or even to wear my cap. There were some sundries to be bought and I'd just done so and resumed my walk, when it started to pour. Caught unawares, I moved into the nearest bus shelter and since the electrical load shedding in the area was in place, the swanky new place was dark and to my mind, unoccupied.

Dunno whether it's the heavy rains or the feeling of solitude that had prompted me into my musical mood but I'd begun to sing in right earnest and that too at fairly high decibels! The number that I'd begun with was the evergreen, 'When I was just a lad of ten my father said to me.....' and then the deluge had begun almost matching up with the rains that just didn't show an inkling to stop immediately.

I'd gone on to Glen Campbell, Jimi Hendrix, Perry Como, Rod Stewart to Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar to Yesudas, Jayachandran and finally ended with my all time favourite 'Coward of the County' by Kenny Rogers - yes, I'd wandered through my repertoire of English, Hindi and Malayalam numbers in that short span of time.

And probably, on cue and fed up with my croaky voice, the lull in the rains had come about and it was then that I realised that I'd company in a young couple. They put a sheepish me at ease by complimenting me about my singing prowess. Did I disturb them in their private moments, I 'd never know. Grinning like an idiot and acknowledging their appreciation, I'd resumed my walk.


Tailpiece.

1. During my walks I'm incommunicado as I do not carry my phone with me. I was chided by my mom, on return, for giving her anxious moments - moms keep worrying irrespective of the number of years that you've piled on, in life!

2. I'd purposely avoided walking in the rain this evening because of the outbreak of illnesses at the onset of the monsoons!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment