Monday, June 17, 2013

What a pity?

The news grab that I saw on almost every channel showing the waterlogged T3 terminal of the Indira Gandhi International airport at Delhi saddened me enormously. Incessant rains over the previous 48 hours had brought in water into the spanking new terminal hailed as the second best in the world in a survey conducted in the not too recent past.

Waters will recede, cleaning followed by mopping up with the best of equipment will be carried out and the airport authorities, I'm sure, will endeavour to bring it back to its lost glory. But sadly, it's never gonna be the same again, as many of the fixtures and materials used within the huge building, would perish because they've come in contact with water or even moisture!

And that's what makes me angry. The guys in charge of building the new terminal have collectively let us all - the tax payers - down. I'd like to ask the entire team that had worked on the project, the following questions:-

     (a) Weren't technical feasibility studies done during the conception of the project? Or were they just an
          eyewash that touched upon only the basics so that a document was available for namesake to get
          the release of funds?
   
     (b) Hypothetically then, if there was a detailed study done how was it that the contingency in case of
           floods - in the aftermath of heavy rains - not factored in? It's a known fact that the city being the part
           of the Indo-Gangetic plain collects up water within no time! Cases of waterlogging, at various points,
           are common occurrences during every monsoon!!

As a citizen of this country, I consider the facilities as my own and hence the disappointment coupled with an impotent rage at all those whom - I feel - have let me and my fellow citizens down.


Tailpiece.

It's yet again a sad tale of inefficiency, greed and sloth!  

No comments:

Post a Comment