Sunday, June 9, 2013

Michael comes calling!

I'd quite a pleasant surprise this afternoon. Michael, my old shipmate, had come calling and we're seeing each other after what seemed to be ages. Dressed in an elegant suit, he'd dropped by around 12 o'clock, and was insistent on taking us out to lunch. Citing mom's locomotion problems, I persuaded him otherwise and he'd finally ended up having the meal with us.

Michael was one of the three stewards on board my ship when I was a rookie subaltern - the other two being Abdulla and Nair. And between them, they could handle any amount of get togethers with an aplomb and they'd a way of looking after the guests in their unique style. The upshot had been that many of my friends, who'd visited me then  fondly remember them, even to this day.

Michael's father was one of the stake holders of one of the Chinese fishing nets, that adorn the harbour entrance, on the Fort Kochi side. And he'd his own way at pronunciation of tricky(?) words - for example, the dish 'mutton do pyaaza' was simply, 'mutton do paisa' in his lexicon. And stories abound as to how the three musketeers went about tackling the Wardroom inmates' requirements. There was this gentleman who insisted on a piping hot cup of beverage every time and much to their consternation, he used to complain that the temperature did not match up to his requirements, even after each of them had served the cuppa' straight from the stove!

And after much racking of brains, they'd hit upon a novel idea. Along with the preparation of the beverage, the cup and saucer that would be used to serve it were put into boiling water. And never again did the gentleman crib about the temperature of the beverage served to him!

........Michael had found out my address to spend time with us. It was wonderful to catch up on his accomplishments and it was also a pleasure to speak to Nair and Abdulla with whom he was connected. I was particularly happy to note that all the three of them have done extremely well for themselves.

An afternoon well spent!


Tailpiece.

Mom and Lekha were lapping up all the escapades of your's truly during those times. Was I apprehensive that some of the 'uncomfortable' truths would come tumbling out? Just kidding, I'm as I'd told you earlier, an open book!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment