Saturday, June 1, 2013

When three strangers worked in tandem.....

I'd hit the highway on another weekend sortie, this time to my sister's place, at Palakkad, after work. Earlier, it was an uneventful day at work except for a couple of the usual requests for urgent reservations.

Lekha was already at Palakkad after the ceremony in connection with her mom's remembrance day. So, it was mom, Minni and Ammu who were with me for the trip. And I'd taken the shortest route after a long time - motorists on this route have been subjected to frequent traffic snarls as a particular stretch was badly in need of repairs.

The stretch has undergone patchwork repairs and is passable now. I was at a comfortable speed and then came the error in my judgement. I'd begun to overtake a massive container lorry even after seeing an autorickshaw hurtling down from the opposite direction. My assumption was that he'd keep to his part of the road so that I could pass through the just adequate space between the two.

And it was while negotiating it that I realised that I'd over estimated the width of the space that was available to me. It was a two way lane and three vehicles were trying to squeeze past each other thanks to my mulish over enthusiasm! And those five to ten seconds were touch and go - the three of us were able to negotiate that stretch without mishap. And it was only possible because of the magnanimity exhibited by those two fellow motorists who'd allowed this 'mischievous' and 'foolishly adventurous' fellow motorist to have his way!

I thanked the both of them quietly for my safe passage, quite a number of times subsequently and took yet another vow that I wouldn't take chances like this ever again. Yes, they're fantastic drivers and above all, wonderful human beings!!


Tailpiece.

Wished I could have befriended them and thanked them for their magnanimity though within the circumstances, it was impossible but here's me wishing them miles and miles of safe journey.      

No comments:

Post a Comment