Saturday, June 15, 2013

The act of giving...

I've an inability to say no to anyone who comes to me with a request. It's ingrained in my system that a person approaches you only because of two reasons and they are:-

        (a) Is confident that he'll not return empty handed and
        (b) You'll not ridicule his helplessness!

Early, this morning, the milkman had rung the doorbell - quite unusual of him as he normally puts the milk packets into the satchel hung out on the doorknob. When I'd opened the door, without any preamble he said that he needed Rs.100/- to take his kid, who'd sustained an injury, to the hospital. He further added that he'd return the money by Tuesday. I did not know as to who he was and had asked him his name. And I came to know that he was Ashraf, staying within our residential area, as his wife was working for one of the residents.

Without seeking any further clarification, I gave him the money and had shut the door. My sister, who was privy to the transaction, was apprehensive about him returning the money as she was sure that he's going to use this money for his personal indulgence. And I gave my 'smart Alec' answer that I'd be able to retrieve it without any hassles.

Later on in the day, Ramjee had come by to give me a haircut. After, the exercise, he'd asked me as to whether I could give him a wrist watch as his had gone bad and was beyond economic repairs - I'd four(all of them gifted to me by others!) which were kept on my writing table. And without giving it a second thought gave him one. The sight of him strapping it on to his wrist gave me happiness. Period!

My mom who was witness to it was quick to endorse the transaction.

Am I being stupidly sentimental? Do guys think that I'm gullible enough to be an easy prey to their emotions?


Tailpiece.

I've always been told by my elders that the person asking for help should be made to feel as though he was doing something very natural as his self esteem came under tremendous strain during such occasions. And it was important that he should never be ridiculed, ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment