Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Another life lost......

The news of the suicide of the Hindi movie actress, Jiya Khan, is being flashed across by all the news channels and I was pleasantly surprised by the BBC airing a program on the actress - I thought they covered personalities who'd accomplished much more and am not, in any way, belittling the young lady's accomplishments - and also having an in-depth chat amid journalists on the 'Bollywood' beat, discussing about the pressures brought to bear on aspiring actors and actresses. They went on to say that the life in tinsel town was a facade of sorts and the attendant pressures could scorch even the toughest of beings!

I've seen the movies, 'Nishabd' and 'Gajini' in which the young lady had acted with an aplomb. She seemed to be quite effervescent and comfortable on the screen notching up a good 'screen presence' opposite towering actors like Amitabh Bachchan and Amir Khan, respectively, in the two movies. Sadly, she wasn't able to garner roles for herself subsequently, which seemed to be an anticlimax after a dream debut like her's that many would have hankered for! So, did that long, unproductive wait pull her down? To the extent of snuffing out her own life?

I remember a doctor friend of mine who'd told me, sometime back, about people born with suicidal tendencies. Such people tended to look at themselves as failures and derived negative meanings to everything that they saw around them. Consequently, they needed constant attention and support to bolster their confidence and to the extent feasible, must never be left alone - for, they'd brood and in an extreme moment of depression even harm themselves!

Life is but a combination of successes and failures. Going ballistic at a success or getting depressed over a failure should be avoided! Easier said than done, I know. But it's the ability to carry successes and failures with the same degree of grace and restraint, that would make an individual strong enough to take on life's paradoxes!

RIP, young lady. May you find peace in eternity and here's wishing that god gives strength to your family to tide over their trying times!


Tailpiece.

Am reminded of a quote scribbled on my autograph, a long while back, by a good friend at school which goes as,

     "At ebb tide I wrote a line upon the shore
      And I gave it all my heart and all my soul.
      At flood tide I came back to read what I'd transcribed
      Only to find my ignorance upon the shore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment